My Journey from Misery to Ministry

"You asked, 'who is this who questions My wisdom with such ignorance?' It is I - and I was talking about things I knew nothing about; things far too wonderful for me." ~Job 42:3

Sunday, December 6, 2009

9. Out of Print: Books on my Reading List

WOW! There are some really fabulous books available about surviving, getting over, and recovering from a narcissist. I can't wait to purchase all the titles here, and will save diligently to get them. Might even clean an apartment or two to pay for them, totally worth it.

~ Malignant Self Love, Narcissism Revealed by Sam Vaknin. This is a large book, and expensive but I'm gonna keep my eye open for a used copy. This book has been described as the bible of narcissist-recovery.

~Why is it Always About You? The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss. A newer paperback (2003) that discusses how we end up in the crosshairs of narcissistic people, and how we get swept into their lair. My favorite excerpt from the book synopsis is this: "Explores how individuals come to have this shortcoming, why you get drawn into their perilous orbit, and what you can do to break free" I love that!

~Freeing Yourself from the Narcissist in Your Life by Linda Martinez-Lewi. This cool little book describes itself with this gem: "...a guide to recognizing, coping with, and ultimately overcoming the destructive behavior of narcissists.

~Narcissism: Denial of the True Self by Dr. Alexander Lowen. This is the book I want the most, yo. The thing I love about it is that it speaks to the reader as if he or she is the narcissist, rather than a victim of the narcissist. I think it will give me a better glimpse into what makes Rob tick, what may have contributed to this personality, and explores the possibility that there is healing for him. I was really drawn to Dr. Lowen's belief that "narcissists do not love themselves or anyone else." Huzzah! That's one of the notes I myself wrote in my own little paper about narcissists in my post Out of Order: Notes and Quotes. I think Dr. Lowen and I are going to get along fabulously.

No comments:

Post a Comment