My Journey from Misery to Ministry

"You asked, 'who is this who questions My wisdom with such ignorance?' It is I - and I was talking about things I knew nothing about; things far too wonderful for me." ~Job 42:3

Monday, March 29, 2010

29. The Box

Four months and four days ago, on November 25th, my facebook status read "Today I received five boxes of my life on a UPS truck".

I remember the day like it was yesterday.  It was an icy, foggy Spokane morning.  I had been expecting a package from Rob containing my winter coat and some other things. The doorbell rang and I opened the door to the UPS man.  He said simply hi, packages for Dyer and I signed the signature scanner.

I shivered in the cold while he unloaded five large boxes with a handcart.  What the hell...?? I thought.  "They're very heavy" he warned, and he set them on the asphalt driveway next to the garage door.  When he left I stood there freezing and contemplated the stack of boxes as tall as me.   A sadder moment has never existed I thought wearily.  I pictured him searching our home for any and all items of mine he could rid himself of, box up and ship to me. Suddenly one box caught my attention, and I was struck by a sickening realization that nearly dropped me right to my knees.

Stacked second from the bottom was a u-haul box marked by sharpie with the words fragile and kitchen staples in my own hand.   It was the very box I had so lovingly packed with kitchen items we would use at our extended stay hotel after our move from Utah to Olympia.  I had carefully chosen which spices and seasonings, utensils, and pantry goods we would use at our home-away-from-home, and packed them into a box.  The rest of the kitchen--and house--would be left for the moving company after we purchased a home in Olympia.

I found it sickening --and disturbing-- that Rob found and used the very same box to ship my belongings after kicking me out of our Olympia home; my heart broke while I stared at the words I had so excitingly written eighteen months earlier.



Today the box sits out in mom and dad's driveway.  Twice I've started to destroy the thing but I can't seem to do it.  I have no idea why but I just cannot get rid of it.  Not yet.  Don't know what I'm waiting for, when I do this will be the first place to which I turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment